Tuesday, October 28, 2014

New Sister in Christ

This week we are rejoicing because my daughter Molly gave her life to Jesus on Sunday night!!!

She's mentioned this to us several times over the last few years, but we've never let her do it. Before you send me ugly emails or judge me for not letting my kid make that decision when she wanted to, let me explain.

The decision to give your life to Christ is a big deal. It's the most important decision you'll ever make. We wanted to make sure that both of our kids really understood exactly what they were choosing to do. This isn't just asking Jesus into your heart. Asking Jesus into our hearts is not what saves us. It's repentance from our sin and faith in Christ. It's a commitment to follow Christ and his teachings, and rely on him day after day thru the good and the bad. It's not just, 'I want to go to heaven.'
This is what we wanted them to understand.

Up until last night, her interest in the decision was limited to the subsequent baptism and excitement that was sure to follow. A new Bible. A phone call to the grandparents and friends.
She had seen her brother make this decision and wanted the same attention he received.
Typically her statement was, "I want to be baptized."  It was usually at an inopportune time, or it would be said just to me, and I would tell her, "Let's talk about it tonight when Daddy gets home." If she brought it up again that evening, we'd talk about it. She never did.

Until last night.

We were at a community-wide worship service and she approached me during one of the songs. She looked like she was crying a little bit, and I asked if she was OK.
"I want to give my life to Jesus," she said.
I responded with, "Go tell Daddy," to which he responded, "We'll talk about it when we get home."
On the way home I was talking to Allen, and said I was going to get right in my car and go to the grocery store while he put the kids to bed.
In a little voice form the backseat, "But we need to talk about that thing!"
"What thing?" I asked, knowing full well what she meant, but needing her to say it.
"Me giving my life to Jesus," she said.

And so we did.

We asked her what she was thinking, feeling, why tonight, was it a song, something she heard, something someone said?
"I just felt in my heart like God was telling me it's time to give my life to Him."
This was different.
She had never articulated it like that before.
There had never been emotion behind her words.
She meant it.

So we prayed.
We listened as she shared her heart with her savior.

And now my daughter is my new sister in Christ.
Welcome to the family, sweet girl.


4 comments:

Kristen Clements said...

Praise Jesus!!! So thankful for the salvation of Molly, girl! God is so good!

KSanchez said...

This is the best post EVER! I rejoice with your family over this beautiful decision.

Txkickerbelle said...

WOO HOO, that is so awesome! I got all kinds of chills reading your post. I adore your kids and am so proud for you and Allen.

Unknown said...

AHHHHH MOLLY!!!!! YES YES YES YES YESSSSS!!! So happy for all of you ;)

p.s. I will definitely be referencing this post when I have kids. I love how you taught Molly and Colby about this.

love to all the frans clan from the birds.