Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Did that just happen??

I quite literally gave my grandma dating advice the other day. And not just advice but general encouragement in the area of dating and companionship.
I didn't realize it was weird until later. Not weird as in inappropriate; grandpa died a few years ago, so she's a free woman. I mean weird as in, well….just weird. Unconventional.

Have you ever received advice from someone you wouldn't think would have much to offer?
Or maybe you've found yourself encouraging someone you wouldn't think would have anything to learn from you?
What's amazing and so cool to me about ministry is there's always more to be learned and different perspectives to see situations from.

I wouldn't have thought I'd have much to offer my grandma about life and love, but as we were talking, she said, "You know, you're right. I hadn't thought of that." Really?!? But you're grandma!

The Lord used this seemingly insignificant conversation to remind me of a few things:

1) Don't think that because you are young (in age, ministry, or marriage) you don't have anything to offer to those of us that are more seasoned.

1 Timothy 4:12 -- Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity. (NIV)

2) Don't think that because you're an 'old pro' at this ministry thing, that you don't have any ing to learn from someone younger.

Proverbs 1:5 -- A wise person will listen and continue to learn, and an understanding person will gain direction. (God's Word Translation)

Let's keep open minds as we fellowship with others on this journey.
If I can learn from my 7 year old, and my grandma can learn from me, I think it's safe to say anything is possible.

Have a blessed week!!

No comments: