Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Non-conformist

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2000. I've managed it pretty well over the years, but last summer I committed to some serious changes in my diet that I've been needing to make for a long time. I've lost weight over the last several months as a result, so most of my pants are too big.
I sighed in exasperation the other day as i yanked them up for the umpteenth time that morning, and a friend of mine said, "Girl, don't even go there. The rest of us who wish we had that problem want to smack your skinny butt and tell you to suck it up." And then she did.
If you know me personally and see me on a regular, or even not so regular basis, this is why I'm almost always wearing leggings. They (pretty much) always fit. Well, that, and I kind of hate jeans. They're just not soft.
Please don't hate me. I'm not bragging. This is going somewhere.
God has been using really bizarre things lately to give me completely applicable word pictures.

On one hand I'm glad my pants don't fit, because its means I'm doing well in my goal to be healthier, but at the same time, pants that don't fit are just uncomfortable. As I was tossing a pair of jeans in the hamper this evening after only wearing them once (ugh, so annoying!) the Lord thumped me on the head and showed me that as Christians every day should be like that.
Romans 12:2a -- Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. (NLT)
We don't fit into this world. We belong somewhere else altogether, so while we're here life may be a little uncomfortable. It should be. If it's not uncomfortable we're doing it wrong.

So as much as my saggy butt jeans are driving me the heck crazy, they will now be a reminder that the world should be a little saggy on me, too.

2 comments:

Karen Lambert said...

:) What a great word picture...thanks Amy

Unknown said...

Great point Amy. I'm glad to see you're doing this.
Rick