Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Here or There?

Each morning my kids and I start our school day with God's Word. We're reading straight thru, at least for now, skipping over the 'begats'. Several weeks ago we were reading in Exodus where the Israelites made a golden calf while Moses was up on the mountain (ch. 32 and 33). After God cleared away the mess, he told Moses to "Go up to the land that has plenty of milk and honey. But I will not go with you. You are stubborn. I might destroy you on the way." Ouch. Kinda harsh.
At that point Moses had a real heart to heart with God. He was frustrated and confused, and completely honest with his Father; a great reminder that we can bring everything to God.
Moses said, in verse 15 of chapter 33, "If you don't go with us, don't send us up from here."

Wow. How desperate am I for God's presence?

Moses would rather stay in the middle of nowhere with God, than go to the land of milk and honey without God.

Have you experienced a big move? In ministry or otherwise?
Did you go willingly, with excitement?
Did you go kicking and screaming?
Did you not go?

We think we want what God wants. We may even say we want to be in his will. "I'll move to Africa for you, Lord!!!"
But what happens when He actually calls on you to do it?
Maybe not Africa. Maybe just a few hours away.
Different house.
Different church.
Different job.
Different people.

It's easy to get caught up in our plans, to dream about the future.
I think we tend to make plans and say, "God, here's what I want to do. Bless it." When really we should be saying, "Lord, I want to be where you want me to be, even if it makes me uncomfortable, because I'd rather be uncomfortable in your plans, than deceived in mine."

There's a song by Shane & Shane that puts this just perfectly. I've included it below for your listening pleasure. Sit and soak it in. Let the words speak to your heart and spirit.






I hope this blessed you today.
Thanks for stopping by!!


No comments: