Wednesday, February 5, 2014

In His Corner

I want to introduce you to my first guest writer, Kristen Clements. She was a student in our youth ministry several years ago, and has been an influence in my kids' lives since they were little bitties. Colby and Molly had the honor of being her ring bearer and flower girl last August when she married Jeremy, who is the youth pastor on staff at Second Baptist Baytown. I asked Kristen to write about her experience as a new wife in ministry.


Marriage is hard work-especially when married to someone in the ministry, but I have been so grateful for the amount of joy this new journey has brought me. Among the many privileges and blessings that come with being Jeremy’s wife, there is one in particular that I wanted to shine light on, which is being Jeremy’s encourager. As Christine Hoover puts it, being the “pastor to the pastor” or the “influencer to the influencer.”

Out of the two of us, Jeremy is the one who is in the “lime light” most of the time. Sure, many people know who I am as they see me running around on Sunday mornings or serving in the youth group. However, Jeremy is the one who teaches the youth every Wednesday night, facilitates countless meetings each week, leads a team of youth staff and volunteer leaders, occasionally preaches in “big church” and the list goes on.

So, what is my role? What does it look like to be his encourager?

Imagine a boxing ring. Your husband is the one out in the in the middle, taking on his match. Although he is the one in the center with crowds cheering him on, you are right there in his corner; you are the one with a sweat towel in one hand and water bottle in the other.

You are the first to rejoice & celebrate each victory and the one to hold him up at the first sight of discouragement or defeat. You are the one cheering him on and with each opportunity, speak truth & life into his ear.

In my short, five-month experience, I have learned that it is not always a glamorous role and is, most of the time, behind the scenes. I have also learned that this does not come from my own strength or abilities. Out of the overflow of my relationship with Jesus comes a flowing stream of life-giving words to spur on my husband and the wisdom to discern how. I must go to the Source to be a resource for him. What an honor it is to stand beside Jeremy, reminding him that he is loved, believed in, and called by Christ. Aren’t you glad that the Lord has called us to fulfill that role? 

She will not hinder him but help him all her life.” Proverbs 31: 12 LB

As wives in their corner, and through God’s grace, we get to impart courage into our husbands as they continue to fight the good fight of faith (1 Timothy 6:12). Together, hand-in-hand, we run the race with endurance, fulfilling the role God has purposed for us. I believe part of our role, as “help-mate”, is to point him towards the Father by being a constant source of encouragement.


So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you’ll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind. I know you’re already doing this; just keep on doing it.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 MSG




Thanks, Kristen, for your dedication to the Lord, to your husband, and to his ministry.
Be blessed today, everyone. Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

kristina said...

I love this! My prayer is that I will always find JOY in being my husband's partner in ministry and in life.